Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Cybercon III: Discovering Elevators

Okay, its do or die time. Can I actually advance in this game? I, in theory understand the controls. There's no more confusion about what I can and can't do. I have four doors, let's go through this methodically.

The leftmost door leads to effectively nothing, beyond codes. I don't really need codes. The doors with stripes pointing downward or upward are useless, and just function as enemy spawn/despawn points. Funny, I could have sworn there was something else here.
The left door leads to a bridge that I can't cross yet. But I can jump down. This leads me to the first new symbol I have found, a green square. Two problems, I don't think I need a green square yet, and I don't know how to get here normally. I just need to figure that bit out.

The right door leads to a room with a pit, an enemy spawner, and more codes. I doubt there's going to be anything interesting down there.

So, the rightmost door. This leads to the area last time with the turret and endless tanks. But wait a minute, how can all this be? I definitely have found more before. So much for a thorough sweep. Going down the pit kills me. Hmm, and there's definitely no way past the pit.

Where did I find that generator? The left side? I can vainly hope that will solve some of my problems, since that seems to be the only non-door object I can interact with. I have no way, to my knowledge, to regain energy once I've used it. This makes running around extremely slow, since I need to turn off all non-essential energy objects, mostly the power armor's assistance and direction capabilities. I don't really notice much difference with them off anyway, and the navigation system is straight-up useless. Thus, I'm sitting here in a corner, where robots don't reach, and when I regain my power, I'll go around a corner I didn't notice before. Only to discover its only purpose is to spawn robots.

So...what now? I guess I can try the turret again, but that still leaves some very tricky encounters with robot tanks. Where can I go? Only, I have the choice taken from me. The game crashes. Okay, time to play dirty. Normally I wouldn't cheap to win, but this game has been a stiff uphill climb and I'm curious if there's a payoff. There isn't, that turret still activates. I should point out that I only cheated to give myself infinite energy, health is still a considerable struggle.

With this easy energy, I decide that my only option left is to fall down pits. I don't know what the developer was trying to pull originally, but whatever it was, its not working. I am completely boggled by what I'm playing. I compared this to Galactic Empire originally, but Galactic Empire at least tells me what I need to know, or its so simple I can figure it out. This is just obtuse. From the bottom, there's only one way out. The door is closed, and won't automatically open. Clearly, I just need a code...it opens a code room. And I've seen this code room before. So there are elevators, its just put in so obtusely you'd never figure it out. If you ever see someone do something like that, show them this game.

So, I now actually have options. Since this is the generator...wait a minute, this isn't the generator room. What? WHAT? Where am I then? I'm still on the ground? Why did two rooms appear out of nothing? Yeah, I've been here before, this leads to that door I couldn't open and couldn't interrogate. And while walking around I get killed by robots. I don't know at this point, I really, really don't know. I look up that longplay again, and oh, the coderooms are really, really just elevators. Is that an attempt at environmental gameplay help? No wonder games shifted into having tutorials that tell you how to do incredibly simple tasks, they saw games like this and realized nobody could figure things out otherwise. For good or bad, I guess this means I'm going to continue. Not today, no, not today.

This Session: 40 minutes

Total Time: 2 hour 00 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment