Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Catacomb Apocalypse: Revenge of the Time Lords

Weird treasure chests, some more "wizards". Level seems normal so far. Ah, missed, hit the wall. Its exploding...
Oh...that's going to be fun. Vulnerable treasure chests and a ton of wizards. Thankfully there's a time stop hourglass, giving me a chance to carefully pick over the treasure before turning my attention back. Without that boon, they fall quite easily. Now, where to go from here? Hmm...wait, what was that sound?
Hmm...looks like a level transition. Where shall I go next?
At first this just seems like another time area level. Then the first portal opens. Followed by another, and another. Four portals. Four ways to win. Okay, I'll go through this one, but first, I'd like to look around here.
I come across a long tunnel in front of...the water section I guess. At first it seems like a pointless trap, but then, gold. Or rather gems. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Why this generosity. This isn't that hard to find. I wonder if this is a double-cross of some kind. Nope, everything's fine.
I further come across the way out. Hopefully the developers planned it so I can't just screw myself over with keys. No matter, I keep extra saves around. Okay, I wonder what else is here-
 ...damn it. Okay, next rule, don't look at this. There's like twenty of them. They kill me because I'm not mentally ready for this. They're not the boss. They're just...nemesi* heads. Or rather Time Lords, I guess. Look, this was 1993, if you said Doctor Who to someone they'd just say it back at you. Anyway, these guys aren't that tough, just when you have a ton of them, it isn't fun. And boy, oh, boy, are there are lot of them. Four portals. Four pathways. Four hordes of Time Lords.
Right, so Future Time Node. More freaking moth-robots. Are there only three enemies in this game? Whatever, an exploding wall to my left, south, just reveals more wall, an obvious walkable wall. There are two doors west and east, probably locked. Finally, the north wall has nothing. Wait, the east area has a red key. Okay, east is blue and out. West is yellow. I know what I'm going to do then.
 The south leads to access ducts, a clever use of walkable walls. They're full of moths. Robot moths. Pretty crap system, but I guess giving me a little rest would be out of the question at this point. Anyway, this is just a long journey to a yellow key, trying not to get hit. Unlocking a door, I just fight a few more robo-moths and get a little treasure in a hidden niche.
First, there was one. He was fast, but he wasn't much trouble. Then there were more. These are Android Mages, according to the room text. In an open space, they are not easy to fight. They move faster than you, and while they're not very strong, they're still trouble. I burning through a lot of my exterminators do to the way they move. Not good. Another room behind this one, fairly well hidden for once, has even more, and the key I want.
The final room here, just some more Android Mages, a key and a choke point to ease my suffering. With the blue key, I have nothing left to do here, the door out just contains the portal. Ah, progress. Slow, slow, progress. Next time we'll find out what's behind portal number 2!

This Session: .5 hour

Time:1 hour

*See the last game if you don't get the joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment